The story of the Old Testament is the story of a people who rejected God and a God who fought to win them back. It’s the story of a people who were promised hope and a better future, and yet they chose their own way. It is the story of a people who rejected God as King, established their own kingdom, and in the end, watched their own kingdom fall.
In the story of God and His people, there is only room for one kingdom. In this story, there is only room for one King.
1. Have you ever gotten yourself into a bad situation that you were able to get yourself out of? What was it and how did you get out of it?
2. Have you ever gotten yourself into a bad situation that you weren’t able to get yourself out of? What was it?
3. Once the Hebrews got to the Promised Land fear triumphed over faith and God’s people refused to take what God had promised them. Has fear ever overruled faith in your own life? What did fear keep you from doing? How might your story have been different if you had walked by faith instead?
4. The book of Judges tells the story of God’s people going their own way, worshipping their own gods, and living life their way. Their story teaches us that we become what we worship. How have you seen that truth play out in your life, your family, or our world, for good and/or bad?
5. What has surrendering to God cost you? How has not surrendering to God cost you far more?