The Old Testament is an important part of our faith. In fact, the only Scriptures the New Testament authors had was the Old Testament. What we need to understand in our New Testament faith is that the Old Testament contains the history of one nation and a promise made to all nations. It's not just part of the story. It's part of your story. And the point of the story? Jesus. Every sign, every sacrifice, every promise, every story in the Old Testament pointed toward Jesus. The Scriptures tell the story of how God, from the very beginning, decided to love us until the very end. You and I have been part of the story from the very start. He sent Jesus for me and for you because He loved us. And that is the greatest hit of all.
1. Have you ever read through the Old Testament stories? Which one was your favorite?
2. Growing up, how did you see the Old Testament? Believable or unbelievable?
3. When you think about stories from the Old Testament, do you find yourself anywhere in the them?
4. Had you ever considered before that the only Scriptures the New Testament authors had were the Old Testament Scriptures? What does that mean to you?
5. Did this week’s sermon give you a different perspective about the Old Testament and its benefit to you and your growth as a Jesus follower?
Galatians 4:4-5 But when the set time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those under the law, that we might receive adoption to sonship.
Be a student of the Old Testament. Read through it over the next year.