We all want to be the best versions of ourselves. We want to be great spouses, parents, employees, bosses, and followers of Jesus. The goal is not perfection, but progress. One of the reasons we often find it difficult to make progress is that we simply don't know how. What do we do when we don't know the right thing to do?
1. Are there any areas of your life where you've felt stuck and didn't know how to make progress? Are there any areas of your life in which you currently feel this way?
2. Have you ever considered that you can choose who influences you? Do you need to choose new influencers?
3. Those who make progress don't use legitimate excuses. Have you ever done this before? What are some of the excuses you used?
4. Josiah responded to God's words with humility. Do you tend to respond with humility or pride?
5. Josiah took action even before he had the book of the law. Even when we don't know THE right thing to do, we can do SOME right thing. What do you think this means for you? What right thing can you do?
James 1:22 (NIV) Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.
Pay attention. Make an effort. Put your glove up. Reach for the door handle. When you don't know the right thing to do, do some right thing. Because some right thing could lead to the right thing, that changes everything.
When you don't know the right thing to do, do some right thing.