When we misunderstand God we end up mistreating people and you cannot be right with God if you are not right with people.
1. While trying to uphold the law, the Pharisees violated the spirit of the law: loving people. Discuss examples of how this happens today.
2. Why do people gravitate to laws, keeping rules, and religion?
3. How can we discern the difference between the letter of the law and the spirit of the law?
4. How are the outcomes different when we get the intent of the law correct?
5. In today’s culture, what does loving God look like? What does loving people look like?
In prayer, seek ways to love God and love people more. Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal areas where you uphold the letter of the law over the spirit of law.