When Jesus gave his Sermon on the Mount, the people of His day were amazed. He challenged everything they thought they knew about being a good person. What they heard about was not an easier way to live, but it was a better way to live. And yet, Jesus promised that he would give rest to the weary and his way was an easy way, not a burden.
1. Jesus challenged the people of His day to change the way they thought about what it meant to be a good person. Has Jesus challenged you?
2. Have you ever followed Jesus when it wasn’t convenient? What kind of effect did that have on your life?
3. What does the story of the leper tell you about who Jesus is? What does the story of the centurion and his servant tell you? What does the story of Peter’s mother-in-law tell you?
4. The sinners in Jesus’ life were still comfortable around Him and wanted to be near Him. Why was that so shocking to the religious establishment of His day? Do you think sinners are comfortable being around you?
5. How does Jesus’ way give you rest? How is Jesus’ way different than the ways the religious establishment in His day taught?